We can help small businesses with complaints about most kinds of financial products and services provided in or from the UK.

When you get in touch, we’ll let you know if:

  • the financial business you’re complaining about is one we cover
  • your complaint is about something we can look at

Products and services we cover

We can help you with complaints about most financial products, including:

  • banking and credit, including bank accounts, payment services, secured loans and overdrafts
  • insurance, including vehicle, commercial property, business protection and legal expenses insurance
  • financial advice and investments
  • pensions

We may be able to help with complaints about other kinds of financial products and services. To check, contact us. We also have a dedicated page that contains more information about complaints caused or affected by Covid-19 (coronavirus) and how we can help.

Who we can help

We can help micro-enterprises and small businesses (including self-employed people, partnerships and limited companies).

According to our rules:

  • a micro-enterprise is a business which:
    • employs fewer than 10 persons and
    • has a turnover or annual balance sheet that does not exceed €2 million
  • a small business is an enterprise which:
    • is not a micro-enterprise
    • has an annual turnover of less than £6.5 million, and
    • has a balance sheet total of less than £5 million, or employs fewer than 50 employees

We can also help charities with an annual income of less than £6.5m and trusts with a net asset value of less than £5m; and individuals who act as personal guarantors for loans to businesses they’re involved in.

If you’re a small business, we can only look at your complaint if it relates to events that occurred on or after 1 April 2019. But if you're a micro-enterprise, we may be able to help with complaints about events before that date.

If you're not sure, contact us, and we’ll let you know if we can help.

Time limits

You’ll usually need to have given the business a chance to sort out the problem before you come to us. You then need to contact us within six months of the date of their final response.

There might be other time limits that apply to your complaint – find out more about time limits.

Compensation limits

There are limits to how much we can tell a financial business to pay you. Find out about compensation – how we calculate it, and what the limits are.

Cross-border complaints

Generally, we can help with complaints about businesses that provide financial products and services in or from the UK.

For complaints about businesses based outside the UK, you may be able to get help from an equivalent complaints-handling body. If you want to make a complaint about a financial service provider in another EEA country, get in touch with us and we can direct your complaint to the right organisation.

Alternatively, contact FIN-NET, the Europe-wide network of financial ombudsmen and organisations dealing with financial complaints.

Complaints we may not be able to help with

As well as time limits and some cross-border complaints, there may be other reasons why we may not be able to help with a complaint. For example, we won’t usually look into a problem that’s been decided by a court, or one that we’ve looked at already.

Sometimes we can’t help because your complaint is better dealt with by a different organisation or service. If we can’t help, we'll try to let you know who can.

Getting in touch

If you’re not sure whether we can help with your complaint, or have any other questions, just contact us.